Become a Member
WHY JOIN THE COPPER HARBOR TRAILS CLUB?
The Copper Harbor Trails Club is a volunteer and member-driven non-profit organization. We rely on the support of those in our community to do what we do. Unlike a growing number of major trail networks in the nation, we receive little to no direct financial support from local or state governments to develop the trails that benefit our community. Everything we do, from the kick-ass trails to the exciting events, is thanks in part to people like you who step up and support our work. We couldn't do it without you!
How exactly does your membership help the Copper Harbor Trails? Here are a few ways that your membership is making an immediate difference:
- Build and maintain top-notch non-motorized, human-powered trails. Great trails don't come cheap. It costs at least $45,000/mile to build new trails in Copper Harbor, and even more for trails built in technical or challenging terrain. We're fotunate to have a loyal following that supports trail construction and maintenance every year. Are you one of them?
- Advocate for the public access to our shared natural resources. Building new trails is important, but protecting access to those that we've already established is just as critical. We fight to maintain public access for all outdoor enthusiasts in Copper Harbor. The last couple of years have seen CHTC spend considerable time and resources negotiating License Agreements and Trail Easements to keep our trails open and protected for future generations of riders. It might not be as glamorous as building new trails, but keeping our existing system intact ensures we all get to use the trails whenever we want, whether that's this weekend, next summer, or with your kids (or grandkids!) decades from now.
- Keep our wild, undeveloped landscape intact. The Keweenaw is a special place due in large part to its expansive, rugged character. Roads are few and development is isolated. We're working with regional partners like the Keweenaw Outdoor Recreation Coalition to keep our forests from being divided or our shorelines locked away. After all, that's what makes our trails so scenic! The Michigan Department of Natural Resources listens to organizations like ours because they know we have a statewide following and are working with the interests of everyone in mind. The more members we have, the more influential our voice becomes.
- Host exciting races and clinics. Ride the Keweenaw, our men's and women's clinics, Singletrack Flyers, and the Copper Harbor Trails Fest all take countless hours of organizing and staff time to pull off. Your membership allows us to keep these popular events moving forward. Could we survive without these events? Sure, but where's the fun in that! Rallying everyone together for an exciting, jam-packed weekend allows us to share ideas, network with friends both new and old, raise money for our trails, and settle once and for all who is the Queen and King of the Mountain.
- Keep the lights on. It might sound mundane, but without your membership dollars we wouldn't be able to pay for insurance, regulatory fees, and other required operational expenses. No insurance = no trails. There aren't grants out there to support the basic operational costs that all high-functioning non-profits like us incur. It's general funds or bust. We keep our overhead costs as low as possible though to ensure that the majority of your membership contribution goes right back into keeping the system as healthy as possible.
- We're building a community. For nearly 30 years, people have banded together in Copper Harbor to support the once-crazy idea that we'd someday become an epic trail destination. Many of those early pioneers are still around fighting the good fight, and every year we welcome new members into our fold who share a passion for what we've created. It turns out those crazy dreams from long ago may have been on the mark! Together we can continue this awesome journey to improve not only our trails, but the Copper Harbor community as well.
Our awesome trails would not be possible without your love and support. Thank you for becoming a member or renewing your membership with the Copper Harbor Trails Club! CHTC members will receive special deals on events and on products and services from participating businesses. Check out our 2022 Membership Perks to see what our local business partners are offering to our loyal members. Join today!